Re: Illumination/Chaos and Truestone

From: Dave Henry <thebeast_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:21:44 EDT

Paul Bestwick asks about Illuminated Chaotics using Truestone. - -------------

        This question was a lot of fun to think about. Here's how it now works in my game.

        Illumination changes your point of view and perspective, not your nature, so an Illuminated Chaotic would still be burned by Truestone. (At one point a PC who still had blood stains on his hands from killing a Chaos creature was burned when he touched a Truestonerelated  artifact.)

        A Chaotic picking up a Truestone would, in addition to being burnt, be overcome with the impulse to cast his Divine Magics at it. The effects of this would be as follows:

        In your "average" case, the Truestone would reject the magics, causing them to be cast, but not stored in the Truestone. Whether the spells dissipate harmlessly or target a random individual within range would depend upon the exact nature of the spell and the dictates of Maximum Game Fun at the moment. :-)

        In the case of A Lot of Chaos Magic (say, 3-4 times the point capacity of the piece of Truestone in question), the stone is overcome by the Chaos and reacts explosively (blinding flash, nothing left of the stone except inert dust, crater created, etc.).

        In Exceptionally Rare cases, say a High Priest of Primal Chaos with much much Divine Magic, or a Chaotic who HeroQuested for magical powers beyond those of mere mortals, the stone is again overcome by the Chaos, but instead of exploding, becomes corrupted. This new Chaosstone is a rare and highly valued object held in secret in some dark vile temple waiting for the next Great War where it will be weilded with great and horrible effect by a Chaotic High Priest and General.

        At the moment I'm convinced that maybe as many as two of these Chaosstones exist in my game world. Now, to figure out where they are and how to someday hook the PC's into questing to destroy them...

                -Dave Henry

	My parents say I don't know what good clean fun is,
        and they're right -- I don't know what good it is.
                        -- Radio Commercial on WFNX