Re: "Hero" wars

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 23:05:11 +0100 (BST)

Jane Williams comments on myriad peoples' HW comments:

> What I want is a character generation system that will work for all
> NPCs as well as for PCs (since there's no difference other than who
> runs them today), can handle varying levels of detail (major NPCs get
> the same level as regular PCs, "drop-in" players get the same level
> as cannon-fodder), and can handle everything from a five-year-old
> pick pocket to Harrek.

That seems a reasonable hope to me. I don't think HW will _necessarily_ fall down here, from what I've seen, but what the focus will actually be is one of these "wait and see" issues, I think. (Unless the Real Playtesters can illuminate us?) Since scalability is an advertised virtue of the system, it ought to scale _down_ too, it's just going to be a matter of how much of the work one has to do oneself.

> > HW does not posit that the entire world works in a heroic fashion -- it
> > posits that within the world, the PCs operate heroically.

> Well mine don't, not all the time. And I don't want them to be forced
> into it. If I need to fiddle dice roll to keep the plot going, I can
> do that. I don't want the system to force me into letting them off
> every time.

I don't think it does that, unless you mean via the Plot Points. It's "heroic" in that fights aren't going to be won by attrition of minor wounds, and other "nitty-gritty" stuff like that.

> > As it happens, Intimidation was one of the notable abilities of one of the
> > HW demo game characters.
> Great! That's something that really needs rules, not just roleplay!

I don't recall the rules being exactly detailed on this topic, but hopefully it's a Statement of Intent, at the least.

> > Though since there's no real distinction between magical and non-magical
> > abilities anyway...
> Pardon? If I understand you correctly, that's a HUGE difference between
> RQ and HW.

You do, and it is.

> I think I'm going to like it, but it sounds like converting from
> one to t'other is going to be tricky. Especially for a PC of mine
> who likes her Dispell Magics!

Should still _work_, it'll just look a lot different when it's done. One isn't being hit over the head with any sort of bit game-mechanical distinction that says "*that's* a spell, and *that's* a skill, don't mix 'em up, _mate_!", as RQ does in its endearing little way.

> Still, I always did feel that (say) Fanaticism should be triggered by
> circumstances more often than by spells. ("Yes, your family are being
> butchered before your eyes, but you don't have Fanaticism or Berserk,
> so you attack as normal"). Or does HW just call it an Ability and
> continue to say you don't have it?

Well, in short I don't know about the details of the magic rules at all. I can think of at least two respects in which HW might help, though:

	o  The more "loose" feel to the whole system might encourage
	   a ref to do this anyway, and what the rules say can go hang;

	o  The "floating ability" thingie could be applied here; spend
	   a PP, and get the appropriate ability on the spot.

Slainte,
Alex.