Orlanthi Heroic Archery

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 20:11 MET DST

There seem to have been worries about archery-using Orlanthi.

I feel people seem to forget that the Orlanthi have an archery hero all of themselves, Jorganos Vingkotsson, founder of the Jorganostelli, and ancestor of Jarani Whitetop of Arrowtop Mountain (who also inherited his grandfather's weapon, and used it in combat against the Harandings). I don't know how Jorganos received this weapon, or got mastery in it, but I feel it is likely that it is another power and weapon taken from the fire tribe (in tribute or as booty). After all, Vingkot was known for his successes against the Dara Happans.

Archery often is accused of being a coward's way of fighting. It is true that if it is done from the safety of good cover and an unassailable position, there isn't much heroism in using a bow. Come to think of it, neither is there in throwing lightning javelins or heavy thunderbolts, or slinging Thunderstones. (Let alone Sever Spirit spells...)

There are sufficient opportunities for heroism using a bow, though - an archer facing several charging enemies, or holding a bridge or pass agains greater numerical forces. Out of necessity the archer goes into battle without shield, and with lighter armour. He forgoes to draw a melee weapon until the last moment, another disadvantage. And he doesn't really expect fair play by his opponents.

In addition, there are feats to perform for archers, similar to charioteer acrobatics - shoot an enemy missile of course, or disarm an enemy at distance. Give a warning arrow somewhere meaningful without causing harm. Cut off whatever was tied with a well-placed shot.

Go out and meet the armoured enemy (or several of them) with a bow and a fixed, small number of arrows, and maybe a knife and a shirt.

Now, often when one Orlanthi has stolen a weapon or power, soon all of them have it, and will use it.

In case of Vinga, we can assume that once she had proven her right to be a warrior, she took training by the various masters of weapons around her - why not include Jorganos?

Horsemanship seems to be easier for Vingans, given their ties to Berenneth the Rider, whose daughters seem to be cult heroes at least.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #219