Fixity of Gender roles

From: Bryan Maloney <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:34:18 -0400

I have the following rules of thumb in my campaign:

Yelmalions: Women's work is women's work unless there's a buck to be made.  My Sun Domers are pretty insufferable, though.

Garhounders:
Ask the women, and they say: "Men can cook and clean if they have to, but they really can't be trusted to do it right all the time. It's much safer if you let them farm and fight--although they do give sufficient attention to the beer. Just like Ernalda has to act like Orlanth's mother as often as she acts like his wife, the Garhounder matron often finds herself correcting and reproving her husband."

Ask the men, and they say: "Gee, I never really thought about it. I mean, the Missus does all the cookin' an' stuff, but my third cousin's a Red Woman, and she's okay, and I can help out in the kitchen if the Missus is sick or is visitin' her sister in the next village, but I never really thought about it."

Praxians: "Just as the Pact designates the roles of Herdbeasts and Men, the pact designates the roles of men and women. We shall never change! All change is of chaos! What's that, wife? You need help cleaning the hides or we'll have no new clothes come next season? I'm sorry, stranger, but clan business calls."