Aescellanea.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:33:39 +0100 (BST)

Ash Munday complains strongly about (and I quote) "computer wank-speak":

> "HW is more scalable than RQ."
> "HW is supports a higher level of abstraction than RQ."
> "HW uses a different paradigm to RQ."

Add: "4th generation RPG"

      "process-oriented vs. outcome-oriented".

Personally, I think this sort of Pseudo-Management-Speak off-putting when I come across it in _computing_ -- and then I can at least console myself with the thought that I'm getting _paid_ for wading through the crap. In this context I can merely think, "What a revoltin' development".

> David Dunham said he liked the idea of cities being represented as
> directed graphs...
> Alex said bi-directional graphs would be better...

That's not quite what I said; I should clarify, as I already had to off-line, that I was attempting a little "in-group" irony, not trying to make any sort of serious point, graph-theoretical or otherwise. (Failed Big, evidently.)

> There again, they did come back when bribed with 100 word character
> descriptions, being fairly terse communicators when they want to be.

Not me; I've never created a HW character in my puff.

> Jane tried to defend herself from being a God Learner, but failed.

Stephen Martin says that he had it Proved to him by a Chaosium staffer that denying one was a God Learner merely proved that you were. (So he stopped doing so -- we're not fooled Steve, you know!) Probably this sort of provision will be included in Jack Straw's next Crime /Anti-Terrorist/My Son the Dope Dealer/Charging 17.5% on HW box sets Bill, so keep the ducking stool well-oiled, Ash.

Slainte,
Alex.