RE: Unrepentant Grognardism

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:39:24 +0100

Mr Cule, he say:
>... didn't relate to anything. There were just these damn
>numbers ...
>I need concrete knowledge about
>the situation the characters find themselves in to allow my players to
>grasp the scene with their minds and become excited by it.

I don't find that to be a problem. I find that deciding what the numbers mean in real terms is half of the fun in a Hero Wars contest.

Once, I said that the scrawny newtling was standing on a heap of bodies with a spear, and no-one could get past him without serious risk of getting skewered. If they did, though, the 'newt would be defenseless, and entirely vulnerable. Another time, the player with 250 SP was suffused with Urox's divine power, and grew horns and a snout. When he BF'ed on a 50 point stake, though, I just said that the divine energy was too much for his mortal frame, and he collapsed, felling utterly drained. He still had 100 SP, but had just lost 150 so was on -15 to all actions, as I rule that a 10SP loss gives a -1 penalty, instead of 15SP.

I'm really surprised that you don't see the SP mechanism as an opportunity for rhapsody, while retaining the option of just using it as a point system with no need for creative discourse if time or imagination are in short supply.

http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false

PS. Just bought the Baron Munchausen Roleplaying Game - Masterful! Exquisite! Sublime!