Unrepentant Grognardism

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:26:47 GMT

> In fact, it impressed my group so much they want me to use it for our
> forthcoming Tekumel campaign, as well as any future Gloranthan play we
> do. I guess Mr. Cule does not see blind playtesting as sufficient means
> to determine how easily a mechanic might be comprehended by
> players of all walks. What do you suppose he think is a "real playtest"?
> One which confirms his own views? Hmmm...

Damn right! Keep doing the experiment until it gives you the right result!

That's the scientific method!

For what it's worth, I couldn't get any excitement and tension out of the mechanic because it didn't relate to anything. There were just these damn numbers which one second might relate to position and another to wounds and the next to a pretty but not very useful magic effect..... And over all a total lack of concrete realisation of what was going on. I need concrete knowledge about the situation the characters find themselves in to allow my players to grasp the scene with their minds and become excited by it. (Hi Ho... I'm going to have to write House Rules when Hero Wars comes out and I'm not a rules maven, I'm not, I'm not...)

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.