Re: Archery...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 98 19:46 MET DST

Brian Maloney (I think: <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>)

>On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, The Glorantha Digest wrote:

Hey, I haven't been that bad lately...

The Norse parallel within the Gaelic/Anglo-Saxon ones:

>Anyway, the Norse, for all their "Cry
>'Wotan!' and spreadeagle their king!" attitude to battle, were also
>longbowmen, at least according to what I've read here and there.

Archaeology gave us several finds of failry well-done yew bows suitable for hunting or piercing lightly armoured opponents.

>The
>sagas don't talk about it much, since it doesn't make for as exciting a
>story.

Try Heimskringla, about the death of Olaf Tryggvason. It has a nice archery duel ship-to-ship, with an arrow shattering a drawn bow, and all.

>I would say that the Orlanthi will use bows, but they don't make them
>into cultic objects, by and large.

That would be a new concept - use anything and not make it cultic?