Re: Cookery and the function of the Digest

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:51:08 -0400

jonsg_at_harlequin.co.uk (Jon S Green) speaks thus:
> > Don't fret; when the game actually comes out, a Hero Wars specific
> > list will be created.
>
> [Delurking out of overloaded frustration]
>
> Please do it _now_.

There's no game as of yet. The name could still be changed for Ga's sake. It's too early to start a publically available mailing list for it. Now I'll bet that there's a private mailing list for playtest members, and it might even be called hero-wars, but I'm not on it.

As for your numbers, 50 out of 90 posts is admittedly 55.6%. However, in any two week period you will find several tedious threads that use about the same amount of space. It might be about Trollkin Urine, Moose vs Elk, the Sobjectivist Debate, how many words for the GodLearners' Secret, how much Sorcery sucks or how great it is, musings on whether Elric's Million Spheres are to be found in Chaos or the Pre-Dark or neither, and exactly what the difference might be between an illuminated rhino rider and one who has transcended the world?

I think a much greater problem with the digest is not the large number of Hero Wars related posts (some argumentative, some, such as mine, intended to be useful whether or not you play Hero Wars) prompted by the dribbles of information we've gotten about the game, but the small amount of generally useful information on the digest. Glorantha Digesters have always been prone to obsess on obscure points of trivia, and with the death of RQ (I hope nobody objects with that characterization) the number of cameos, stories, and game-worthy ideas has dropped. If you would like to see those numbers reversed, then please, post something along the lines you want. Believe me, your posting will inspire someone else to do the same thing, and before long, we'll have lots of nifty stuff on the list.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #233