Re: The RuneQuest Debate V6 #232

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:43:13 +0100 (BST)

Brian Tickler suggests a faintly sinister double standard:
> 2. Glorantha posts with a reasonable amount of HW - OK
> 3. Glorantha posts with a reasonable amount of RQ - frowned upon

I've seen nothing to indicate these aren't just as OK. I mean, assuming we're talking about "Here's some funky Gloranthan stuff, and btw, here's possible stats for this in <system>", or something of that ilk, right?

> 4. Pure HW posts - frowned upon
> 5. Pure RQ posts - penalty flag

Something like, that, I suppose, though both these sound a little overstated to me. Perhaps I'd have said:

4. Shannon and Eric, etc, start sounding mildly exasperated. 5. Assorted people say, "Eh, isn't there another list for this stuff?"

> Ok, not too big of a difference, but there nonetheless. It's a minor
> conflict of interest, analogous to Wizards of the Coast running the
> Duelist's Convocation...

> As I said before though, it's entirely reasonable for Chaosium to expect
> this, since they're running the digest...

You make this sound as if this distinction exists purely _because_ of Chaosium manipulating the situation to its own advantage. But it seems to me to be a fairly logical interpretation of the stated purpose and nature of the list (and the general principle of "Use the most appropriate list"). Do you disagree with this interpretation, or are you rather objecting to the whole premise of a _Glorantha_ list?

You may argue that there's a _theoretical_ conflict of interest due to Shannon being a Chaosium Minion (his official job title, I understand), and the list software running an a Chaotic Box, but that's getting more abstruse than I, at least, actually care about.

As others have pointed out, it's by scarely more than accident of history that this is the case, and I doubt Chaosium would object (or effectively could) to someone running a parallel list off their own 'puter. (Short of trademark or copyright infringement, outright slander, or incitement to kidnap Nick Brooke's cat.) I don't think anyone wants to, though (or wants to enough, at any rate).

> What about the inevitable post-HW-release "here's how I've adapted HW
> publication/rule xyz to fit into my RQ campaign..." posts?

Would it be unreasonable to suggest, perhaps, applying a test such as "Well, is there significant _Gloranthan_ content to this message? If so, it may well be quite reasonable to post it to the Glorantha list! If it doesn't... perhaps I had best not."

I have to wonder if this discussion is serving any useful purpose. I can understand that there my be "RQ-diehards" out there who are a tad annoyed about the HW chatter, or are just outright annoyed about HW. However, is there really screeds of RQ/Gloranthan material out there which people are just _bursting_ to post, but feel Forbidden or inhabitted from posting? In the event that there is, then I, for one, would rather see _that_ than complaints about the lack thereof.

(Something of an understatement, since those I actually would like to see, as opposed to the rather lengthy list of things I'd merely prefer not to see complaints about.)

Slainte,
Alex.