New subjects for Webpages

From: Pete Newallis <reaper_at_sound.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 20:16:21 -0500

>Richard Crawley:

>The typical WRG mechanism for resolving a round of
>combat has gone from "cross-index-attackers'-weapon-
><deleted>
>killed" to something more like "roll-a-die-for-each-side-
>add-a-couple of factors-highest-wins"! The art is to
>appreciate what "wins" means in a particular case!
>
>The Status Point mechanism sounds very like the "D"
>marker used in many modern wargames rules to reflect
>all the imponderable causes of disruption to a military
>unit - casualties, ammunition supply, loss of cohesion,
>and the fog of war!

  Which will lead to lovely web pages with colorful written descriptions of classic battles. I hope if possible they will also include actual SP battles. For those who fear that they will not be up to the challange to convert the SP battles to something more understandable, the accounts will assure it can be done.

  And really is it no worse than: Roll under skill level. hit. Roll ramdom location. arm. Roll damage-armor. 2 points. To some that can be pretty colorless. Where is the strategy there, the color, the emotion. Numbers are numbers, any game system, will be colorless if you don't breath live into it.

  Some will never like SP battles. Me, I look foward, that that it is inately superior (I might feel that way later) but because I think it has promise to go new places and be used in interesting ways.

   Pete