Jakaleel and Carmania

From: Bryan Maloney <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

I think I've worked through some kind of muddle regarding Natasha Fatale's (that's the character's name--blame the player, not me) relationship with Jakaleel vis her Carmanian upbringing.

Natasha undertook magical study under an indulgent father of the Vizir class. Just *how* indulgent he was was generally unknown until the scandal broke. As part of the Vizir, the elder Fatale had to make journies to the Lunar heartland on administrative business, and he brought his household with him. He presumed (rightly or wrongly) that his wife and her servants would see to it that Natasha and the rest of the children were sufficiently protected from foreign influences.

Yes, he brought his womenfolk with him--I told you there was a scandal involved. Anyway, Natasha comes across Jakaleel under circumstances yet to be revealed, and there is an affinity. She secretly (as if there were any other way for this Goddess) initiates to Jakaleel and returns home.

Eventually, somebody outside the family discovers Natasha's
"theistic"-style devotion to Jakaleel, and the matter is discreetly brought
before Fatale _le pere_'s Fazzik. Plans are made to quietly dispose of the little embarassment by means of a convenient Dart Game, but mysterious circumstances intervene. Person or people unknown leak the information in such a way that any "accident" would land Fazzik Fatale into hot water with Seven Mothers Cult authorities, _and_ it would be "discovered" that the Fazzik was permitting womenfolk under his supervision to learn the arts of High Sorcery. Just who did this, or how they knew--well, we are dealing with Jakaleel...

A compromise is worked out. Natasha is sent east to Peloria, having been
"granted permission" to further explore Jakaleel since the goddess is
technically among the One Hundred lesser gods. Darkness is already considered to have a particular affinity for women (or vice-versa), and the Red Goddess is official accepted. Theistic worship is not, but that little matter is not heavily emphasized. Once the little tramp's out of Carmania, she can be forgotten.

After she is gone, Natasha's parents sustain an unfortunate accident in a Dart Game--but regular correspondance from them to her continues.

Why is she in Pavis? Baby agents have to get their feet wet *somewhere*, and Pavis is a good place to weed out the unfit or potential embarassments. If she survives, she'll be a valued addition to Lunar intelligence, especially with her intimate familiarity with the always suspicious Carmanians. If she doesn't, a potential embarassment has been conclusively dealt with. Also, sending a Carmanian down for no apparent reason will help keep GimGim wondering just how independent he can be.

["I could just have her accidentized--but who is watching me watching her? Wait until her local contacts materialize."]

Of course, if she ever runs into somebody who will actually explain the full Orthodox Carmanian position on theistic worship, there could be problems. Good thing Natasha has a low Lore (Carmanian Orthodoxy) skill...

However, there is always the possibility that things might turn around in an unexpected way, so I present the following Petersenian Writeup:

Dread Jakaleel
To call this being a "saint" is somewhat incongruous, but she is truly powerful and terrifying. Jakaleel was a woman who eschewed the light of her birthland to walk paths of darkness and magic. One of these paths brought her before a Darkness greater than Dark, a Darkness brighter than Light, the Darkness that Ganesatarus had polluted and mixed with Deception. She returned with the secret of the Darkness that *balances* light but does not war against it. This secret is what ultimately brought her to work with the Seven who returned the Favored Child to the world.

Jakaleel the Witch
Jakaleel's Blessing: (10POW Temporal): The supplicant resistance to magical effects is increased by half again what it normally is.

Jakaleel the Dark
Jakaleel's Blessing: (10POW Temporal): The supplicant becomes a piece of Balanced Darkness, completely insubstantial, able to move along any surface at normal walking rate, but the supplicant is also immediately banished away from (but not harmed by) the presence of any light source, just as proper darkness retreats before light but does not war against it.

Now, I've never seen a saint other than Arkat who grants more than one blessing, but the Lunies break the rules so much, anyway. However, this opportunity might never come up, but it's nice to have it on hand.

Is the POW cost for these blessings too high?