Orlanthi honour

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:57:28 +0800 (WST)

        I don't think Orlanthi ideas of what is honourable in war preclude being sneaky, attacking from ambush, or even tactics like poisoning wells.

        I think Orlanthi honour does preclude targetting non-combatants, breaking a vow, allying with chaos or similar ghastlies, running through fear, and many other things. Which isn't to say that these things don't happen (especially running in fear), but all Orlanthi would agree that a mans honour was besmirched if he did these things. While an Orlanthi who ambushes an enemy force is not dishonourable, just prudent.

        But the Humakti insistence on refraining from ambush, and on the sanctity of single combat, are importance differences between Humakti honour and Orlanthi honour. In campaigns here, the differences between Humakti honour and Orlanthi has proved to be a rich source of roleplaying potential. There was, for example, a great session in which the Sword walked away from a fight with a Lunar patrol because he had been tricked into participating in an amush by an Orlanthi compatriot.

	Cheers
		David