List policy on Flames reminder

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 14:12:54 -0700

Please only read this if you have a tendency to become involved in the occasional on-line spat or just like to be patronized.

Basic tips for a happier Glorantha Digest.

If someone is misrepresenting something you said, don't yell at them. Communication takes two people and if they didn't understand what you said, you probably said it wrong. Try restating, not bellowing.

If someone insulted you, it does not give you the right to insult them back (try to remember that two wrongs don't make a right).

In all probability the insult or ad hominem attack you just received was probably not one. When someone calls an idea stupid, or a fact rubbish, they are not attacking the person. They are attacking that item. However, they are using very poor judgement in choosing such easily misinterpreted and loaded terms. This is usual provoking, and they know it.

When in doubt, take it outside (personal e-mail). Especially do this for arguments about real world or Gloranthan 'facts' after the first few posts have shown a fundamental disagreement.

Read that last paragraph again; just the first sentence.

You can flame to your heart's content by e-mail.

My bottom line.

I'm not as liberal about letting people flame each other on lists I have to maintain as Shannon was. I don't like getting requests from people to interceed because of flames. To avoid this I am slightly more willing to remove people who do not refrain from personal attacks on the digest. Never without fair warning though, and never because of content.

Eric Rowe
List Maintainer

ps In keeping with the suggestions above, please direct any specific questions or comments to me at rowe_at_chaosium.com