Re: Orlanthi military culture

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:55:36 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Richard:
> Orlanthi slingers? Where are you referring to? The Dragon Pass Orlanthi are
> not particularly big on mass slingers

I don't think anyone said "mass" slingers, so you're objecting to a proposition that doesn't seem to have been advanced. Having slingers in large formations would be an exercise in futility anyway, I'd think, much better to use them in small doses as skirmishers.

> (I suspect the main point of slings is to hurl Thunder stones).

I think that's backwards reasoning. Wouldn't it be more natural to assume that sling use and Thunderstones were somewhat synergistic in their development? Otherwise one risks advancing a proposition analogous to saying that Pentans only use bows so they can cast gonzo fire magic on them.

> Of course this depends on what you mean by "Orlanthi" - are you
> referring to Sartarites, Hendriki, Tarshites, Aggari, Talastari,
> East Ralians, Vesmonstranings, or who? And when?

I have no idea which, if any in particular, were being thought of originally. Equally, to which are you referring when you say they _don't_ make much use of slingers? If one wants to belabour the Irish analogue for the East Wilds, that'd be a non-unlikely place for Cuchulainn-like feats of slingstone head-splitting. I can believe that many regions, particular the solar-influenced spots of Peloria and Dragon Pass, bows have become relatively more popular.

Slingstone have the advantages of being cheap, readily available, and Mythicly Correct, however, so I'm sure they retain a certain perverse appeal for many clans.

Slainte,
Alex.