Re: More Military Matters

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:34:09 +0100 (BST)

Jose Ramos defends his Hsunchen For Hire policies:
> The Rathori control a wide area of territory, and are not
> automatically hostile to any of their neighbours. So, if their archery
> prowess is known, as I suppose it is, they will receive emissaries from
> neighbouring Uncolings, traders and emissaries (em-Issaries?) from the
> Janube City States.

I think on the contrary, that Rathorela is rather isolated from much outside contact, and certainly that very few of the 1 million Rathori will have even _met_ someone from outside their forest. It's only been freed from the Ban about 25 years, and "wandering into huge tracts of virgin forest" is not a popular pastime in Fronela, or anywhere else, really.

> As a matter of fact, I propose that this mercenaries, subjected to
> outsiders' influences, are the reason why the rathori are such a group of
> advanced hsunchen.

In what sense are they "advanced"? So far as I know the Rathori are fairly "generic" hsunchen, which is to say they're culturally "primitives", which is why I find your proposal that they be commonplace fixtures in the region's barbarian and civilised armies so unlikely.

> Keith "him of the random duplicates" does not see cohorts in
> Safelster, which I agree, nor in the KoW, which I disagree with. The KoW
> should, purely by mythical reasons, have at least a sample of all useful
> military formations, tactics and gods available in Glorantha.

And where else in Glorantha is the cohort known, then? Personally, I don't agree with Steve Lieb's objection to this idea on the grounds of their being "feral" (a word which seems singularly inappropriate as applied to a "civilised" culture), but whilst they may be, I don't see any pressing reason why they must be. Which reminds me -- the debate on that topic seems to be getting unduly unpleasant, even by the standards of such sustained flamefests about Very Little. Would _all concerned_ please tone it down a little bit, rather than looking for excuses to conduct a Just Flaming? (I didn't believe in that doctrine when Nick espoused it, either.)

Slainte,
Alex.