Re: Them what want out

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:06:41 +0100 (BST)

Eric Rowe notes, of the suggestion of combining spammy digest trailers with spammy digest headers:
> Putting it up-front would mean that everyone would always have to
> read the entire thing and make it an even longer task to get to
> actual content.

"Even longer" is a very apt choice of words. I've long thought the Rules of the Road were over-wordy and repeated needlessly often (and yet, not often enough to make anyone follow them). However, I can't complain too hard about this, as my Undigesting program means that I can completely ignore this stuff anyway, as it ends up in a separate message. I'd encourage others to use something similar if their Technology permits, especially if they find writing replies to individual digest messages a pain in the neck with their mailer. (Obviously, if one's mailer lets one read and reply to each message separately anyway, Undigesting beforehand is very redundant.)

Slainte,
Alex.