Mercenaries

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:41:39 +0200

[Steve] >> Here is a sample mercenary unit from my Ralios game. The year is the
>>1616.
>Jose, this is great - however, it seems from the role and description that
>they are an all-foot unit, is that correct (excepting officers, probably)??

No. The knights are, of course, mounted. They number about two hundred, but they are usually less in number. Peace and ransoms from Holut have helped build the numbers up.

The excess horses are either sold to mercs willing to try the knight's way, or used in the flying columns supporting the border forts.

If you are in WRG 7th, they would be:
Crossbows HI, CB, Pv, Reg C
Swordsmen HI, THW, Sh, Reg B
Knights HK, Lance, Sh, Reg B. Half the knights could be EHK.

In DBM they would be Shooters (is that called so?), Blades and Knights.

You should consider their individual battle magic high, but no wyter or Esprit de Corps (although Sieur De Brisse is working on it).

Sergeants fight from the ranks, and only a man who has served a year can rise to the post. Only the chief, his aides, and his bodyguard fight outside the companies structure.

Nowadays, both knight companies, two sword companies and three crossbow companies are holding the border. One company of each will return soon to Kustria city, to reinforce the garrison for the Great Tournament, and in case of the knights to participate.

One important point to make is that in Safelster battles are quite bloodless, and common events. An enveloped flank, or a clear advantage in missiles or cavalry are enough to force surrender or retreat. Of course, battles against the Seshnelans or the barbarians are to the finish, and mercenaries dislike fighting those enemies. Too risky.

[Peter] >This is where the confusion came in. Dart normally means something
>thrown in the pubs to me. Furthermore most of my sources focus on
>Republican Rome, the Julio-Claudians or Classical Greece and hence
>don't mention it.

My own interest is more in the Late Roman Empire, and the Byzantine armies. The dart was introduced around the IIIrd century, and was in widespread use very quickly among the professional Legions.

No matter how much I enjoy discussing military matters, I think (as one of the guilty parties) we should move back to Glorantha and away from Earth.

Jose