Many answers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:34:03 +1300 (NZDT)

Ian Thomson:

>Is there an official piece on Dart Wars anywhere?
>Or a good unofficial one?

ToTRM#6 or the Rough Guide to Glamour has an article by Greg about the Dart Competitions.

        "The name comes from the ancient sport which was popular
        in the first wane by Lunar Nobility.  When Gargon of Carresh
        used poisoned darts and a drunken "misthrow" to eliminate
        a rival for a posh administrative post in 1/49 the practice
        began.  Within the wane it had spread and developed into
        a very sophisticated form of private warfare, popular among
        all the aristocracy".

Dana and Cynthia Myers:

> *Is Elmal another name for Yelmalio? From what I've seen they seem
> to be very simular.

They are similar in that they worship the Sun. Elmali are more Orlanthi in appearance while Yelmalio are more traditional Solars. It's like asking whether Apollo is the same as Ra or Sol Invictus.

> *Who did Orlanth beat up, Yelmalio or Elmal?

Some people say both. Others say Orlanth beat up a Sun God who was known as Elmal in one place and Yelmalio in another.

> *Do Elmal and Yelmalio get along?

AFAIK No. Yelmalio was introduced into Sartar from Prax to overcome religious dissension among the Elmali.

> *Whats the relationship of Orlanth to Elmal and Yelmalio? In the
> cult book it says that yelmalio is worshiped amoung the Orlanthi
> barbarians, but I thought Orlanth beat up Yelmalio.

Being buddies with Orlanth doesn't prevent him beating you up from time to time.

Nils Weinander:

>> Errinoru don't know of
>> anything that suggests his actions were regarded as being some sort
>> of abusive cop-out.

>The way his empire fell apart almost as soon as he was
>gone? But mainly that imperial aldryami is a weird
>concept.

He retired to Dinal in 760 ST and his empire fell apart in 975 ST. But the elf=mystic label sounds distinctly odd to mine ears as Cults of Terror called the elves naturalists.

Simon Phipp:

>This is because the White Bear (of Harrekscloak Fame) is a God of the
>Rathori *With No Children*, meaning that there are no polar bears.
>Unusual for a Hsunchen Beast deity, but there you are.

The Polar Bears were exterminated by the Uzhim.

        "The snow trolls tell fabulous stories of how their brave
        ancestors fought white bears, but no such bears have lived
        north of Fronela since prehistoric times".
                                Uz Lore p34 (Trollpak).