Yelmalio and Elmal

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:25:19 -0700

Someone wrote:
<<What about the sky? I thought Yelmalio, Elmal, Dayzatar or whoever would the
Shining Sky. Shouldn't there be at least some light even if sun, moon and stars would be absent?>>

Elmal is definitely in the sky. He's that big shining disk, also known as the Sun.

James Turner writes:
>Remember Greg's reading at C4 about blank (began with a D?) and a
>great battle where Kyger Litor turned up and this blank guy's
>charioteer turned out to be a god?
>Well during one of the late night talks Greg said that the cult that
>the blank guy was in became Yelmalio.

Yes that's essentially correct. The name of the god was Daysenerus and he was the patron of the Sky Dome Temples established by the Bright Empire. He is the origin of Yelmalio. There is a blurb to this effect in Enclosure II. BTW, Daysenerus is definitely NOT Elmal. Hence my difficulties in saying Elmal is Yelmalio. They are similar, share some very similar myths, but not the same. Further, Yelmalio is not the god of the sun, he is the god of the Sky Dome (if I recollect, the Yelmalions call the Sun Yelm). Elmal is the god of the Sun AND the light in the Darkness.

Jeff