Re: Balazar's God

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:03:38 +0100

Mikael asks:

> Working from the assumption that the god Yelmalio (as written up) wasn't
> discovered until King Tarkalor's reign (as per KoS), i wonder:
> 1) What god did Balazar worship and introduce to the Votanki?
> 2) Has that cult since then been superceded by Yelmalio (possibly
> introduced by the lunars in 1564)?

I would *not* work from that assumption, myself. You will create all kinds of problems for yourself if you do, as (I hope) Greg has belatedly realised. It is not necessary for the account in "King of Sartar" to hold true anywhere outside the kingdom of Sartar. It can still be true *in* Sartar that Monrogh introduced the "new" cult of Yelmalio to replace Elmal there. But you needn't trample Griffin Mountain and Sun County to make this so.

If, like me, you don't needlessly abolish Yelmalio, then:

  1. Balazar worshipped the god of the Sun Dome Temple ("Yelmalio", whose cult was still going strong under the EWF in the Second Age);
  2. the ancient cult of the nobles of Balazar has *certainly not* been superceded by some modern nonsense, imported by foreign invaders who don't even control the citadel where it's most obvious nowadays (Dykene).

If, despite this explanation, you want "Yelmalio" to have only existed for the last five years or so, well... good luck to you! (But don't expect any help from me).

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>