Lunar army

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 06:08:19 +0100 (BST)

Martin Laurie, rwplying to Jose:

> Lunar units have rituals too. Every long lasting units does.

Right. Think of the British Army and it's assorted Regimental Traditions, for example. Distinctiveness, individuality are encouraged up to a point, to encourage co-operation inside a legion/phalanx/regiment/whatever, and competition with their "rivals".

> Okay. Do as you will. Greg told me catagorically the other day that
> the DHs are Lunars too and that they support the Empire, the Emperor
> and the Goddess.

Naturally, even (especially!) the more conservative Dara Happan would _have_ to support the the Empire, and the Emperor. I think many are lukewarm in their attitude to the Goddess, though, candidly. Naturally, others, particularly the many who would be forced into a more lowly or hidebound position under strict Dara Happan law, are _enthused_ beyond delight at the Goddess' New Order. A notable few of course, think the Goddess is all sweetness and light, but that the Empire is debasing, diluting, and corrupting her message with all this Solar Empire Hangover nonsense, of which there is oodles.

> > The Lunars have a balanced army, experienced and in fighting trim,
> > although still recovering from the Dragon. The Dara Happans have
> > their traditional forces, filling traditional posts, and in most cases
> > unfit for active service just as the Lunars want them.

> The DHs _are_ Lunars - why would the Empire wish its own soliders to be
> useless? The units in the Satrapies are part of the garrison army and
> are considered poor quality because its hard to raise as many good
> quality units for such onerous and dull duties. Even elite units lose
> their edge in Garrison. This is a natural and sensible arrangement that
> the Lunars inherited and kept going.

I agree, the Dara Happan units consider themselves the Backbone of the army, and everyone _else_ is just Provincial Auxilliaries, as far as they're concerned. Which is itself a rather Parochial attitude, of course. The Top Brass humours their foibles (as well as everyone else's) up to a point, so long as they co-operate effectively as required.

Slainte,
Alex.