HW fatality and Coder Power.

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:29:07 -0700

As the first player to actually "buy the farm" in our HWs campaign, I'd like to pass along a couple of observations.

First, MOB can rest easy, that the Coders are NOT pushovers. A dedicated band of PC's with a bit of luck and a LOT of plot points can hold thier own against one. But it ain't purty. Julian took on (and out) our three Best warriors (who were no longer "starting" chars by any means). He killed the Uroxi stone dead, and wounded the Humakti to within a hair's breadth of death. Had the battle lasted longer, he could have almost certainly finished off the rest of us. As it is, the party is in BIG trouble if we get into another fight for the next couple of seasons (till the humakti heals).

On the other hand, it's really not that easy to get killed in default HW. I fully played up my storm bullie as a Berzerk -- betting much higer than I had to (or was sensible) and ultimately paying the price. However, adjusting the deadliness of combat is no more difficult than picking a different number as the "death" point -- it's REALLY easy to fix it if the default doesn't feel right for your campaign. Adjusting char starting levels is a little more difficult, but definately much easier than doing the same degree of change in RQ.

danm
(living(?) proof that even plot points won't save you from being a moron ;-)