Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #339

From: Arf <A.R.Wilson_at_herts.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 10:21:09 +0100

(danny bourne)

> Contra to Simon Bray's words about cats on ships, apparently it's good luck
> to have a cat on a ship (according to Humberside folk lore) but if you see
> a cat get off a boat at dock it means that boat's not going to come back
> when it sails out to sea.

Surely the best way to avoid the cat leaving your boat is not to have one on it in the first place?

(Jane)

> On top of this, I have to think up what the Trickster Spirit is going to
> ask the Duck to do for an initiation quest. On the whole, I think stealing
> a sword and presenting it to an Orlanthi could be quite amusing: let's
> keep this as mythically resonant as we can!

Depending on the local situation, he would either have to steal the sword from the Humakti (symbolising the power of Death), or from somewhere/someone in the Marsh (symbolising nicking it from (Vivamort?) it's guardian).

Quite how I get my
> Orlanthi to attempt the Yelm Contests I'm not sure. Just finding a Yelm
> rep. to be the opposition could be tricky.

An Elmali is the obvious choice, or a chance traveller from Sun Dome County?

> That Orlanthi player has been asking me about elementals. In
> particular, it seems to him that this business of Summoning them and
> giving them orders is a disrespectful way of treating the representative
> of his God.

Depends on your PoV. Aren't most of Orlanths minions those that he's beaten up in order to get them to do stuff? Another option is to view them as tools rather than representatives, because surely reps would be the priests?

(Adam Betteridge)
> I understand that some be callin us Piratyes or sumthin, I will av ye
> know we is no such thing, Cap'n say we be Private Ears, or Buccan ones.

Dwarven Buccaneers: definitely the source of the term "Pyrites".

Arf
- --
 Senior Computer Technician/ PIP Baggage Master / Webmaster

 University of Hertfordshire       Prince Rupert's Blew Regt of Foote
 01707 (28)5052                    01442 398131
 http://www.geocities.com/~pavis/