Re: Wal-Mart ?

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 18:00:49 EST

> From: "Ian Thomson" <gpo.swin.edu.au_at_lucy.cc.swin.edu.au>
> "As for mainstream marketing of
> titles such as Runequest, 'I don't think we'd be going out to
> Wal-Mart' ."
> Scuse, my ignorance, what does this mean in European English?
> (I might even manage to understand the Aussie version!)

Wal-Mart is a chain of huge general discount stores. If Hasbro sold FRPs there, you wouldn't expect to converse with sales staff about what are the best and worst things about some game, as they would be too busy helping someone check out in housewares, or maybe buying a lawnmower.

ObGlorantha: If Wal-Mart came into Boldhome, all the local Issaries merchants would long for the good old days of the Occupation at its worst, because their prices would be so undercut, far worse than Etyries ever tried.