re: God Learners

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:45:33 -0800

Craig Tremblay wondered

> What is the best source for info about the God Learners? I have heard
> of them in passing, but I cannot find 'definative' info on them.

Wyrms Footprints (available from Wizards Attic, the Reaching Moon Megacorp, or even some local game stores) reprints the old article on them. There's also quite a lot in the Glorantha box, and some in Elder Secrets.

The God Learners are associated with the Jrusteli, who formed an empire that included most areas touched by the sea; their main interest was trade. (Apparently, Seshnela eventually took over this empire.) The God Learners sought to learn more first about their own god, Malkion, then about the other gods. They developed some wildly successful techniques, such as combining the myths of different cultures into the Monomyth, and were masters of creative heroquesting. However, they showed little respect for Glorantha, and eventually all of Glorantha rose up against them. The God Learners were all killed, and the continent of Jrustela was destroyed. The secrets of the God Learners were lost -- partly because the world is different now (though much of their analysis is still valid).

I'm planning on running an Imperial Age game fairly soon, where players would all be from the Jrusteli Empire. At least one will probably be some form of God Learner (others will probably be ship captains, explorers, traders, etc. -- the God Learner Empire was certainly not composed entirely of God Learners, even among the Jrusteli).

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #351