Re: East Isles Navigation

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:56:40 +0100

MOB:

> Hey, maybe the Haralagan compass tracks the path of the sun from the gates
> of dawn to the gates of dusk. *Now* I know why their sea captains all have
> a pot with a sunflower in it on their poop decks!

That's pretty cool. I the sunsope operators from the Order of the Rising Sun also dabble in navigation, which means they would most likely navigate by the sun.

>In fact, I believe that the sacred bowl
>IS the compass, you let a sliver of wood or something float in the bowl and it
>always points towards the temple. This would explain why the other Islanders
>don't use compasses and also reinforce the Haragalans' sense of self
>- -importance, their Island being the navigational center of the world.

Another excellent suggestion. Thus we can have two alternative methods: the Order navigators follow the sun, the Lumavoxoranites follow the stick in the bowl. The floating stick is probably a piece of wood from Haragala's pine forests.

Just a small caveat, the extension of magic as a source of Haragalan magic may not hold water. Dream magic is no longer universal to all the East Isles.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/