Re: Arkat and Sartar

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:46:51 +0800

Peter replying to David Dunham etc

>>Of course, there is that little problem
>>that he's betrayed everyone along the way -- including the Ralians and the
>>Uz.
>
>He hasn't betrayed the Pelorians nor the Fronelans!

        But didn't Arkat become a Hrestoli knight, and then throw it away to follow barbarian gods (and eventually become a Krjalki)? Perhaps he didn't betray them militarily, but I bet they feel betrayed anyway.

>The Fronelans would instantly befriend anyone who betrayed both
>the Brithini and the Seshnegi.

        They did instantly befriend him, and let him become a Knight in record time. They probably still weren't pleased with what Arkat became.

        And as for the Pelorians - he didn't betray them because he was never really on their side. Escapes on a technicality.

>>Sartar's main power was not Trade, but Change.
>
>I refer you to Questlines II where it is stated that Sartar was attempting
>to become a God of Trade. And the Green Dragon has sat in the wopwops for
>150 years which seems to be exemplary of stasis to me.

        I agree with Peter. Sartar was attempting to become a hero of Issaries, or even an avatar. Road building, for example, is not really a Change thing, but certainly is an Issaries thing, and very much a Sartar thing. His Change powers, IMO, were related but secondary.

        Cheers

                David