Two Thunders

From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_xsite.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:00:35 -0600

>Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:28:16 -0800
>From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_sprint.ca>
>Subject: Shargash and Storm
>
>> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 98 23:36 MET
>> From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
>> Subject: Shargash, Silver
>>

>> You might as well call Shargash a degenerate form of Storm worship.
<PRO-ORLANTH MODE ON>
>Shargash is not storm; he is much much more than just that. He is a sky
god not
>an air god like Orlanth. He is a planet. He is death, war, devouring,
rebirth,
>growth, fighting, anger, thunder...

And Orlanth is more than even that. Orlanth is all that is Primal Storm, Courage, unconquerable strength, Rebellion, Justice, Wisdom,recklessness, The Runes, Father, Brother, wily foe, the eternal King, great Magician, Adventurer, penitent, saviour.

I'd be very interested in reading some cross cultural myths involving Shargash and Orlanth. Even though from what I understand, the God Learners never made inroads to Peloria (as far as I know), there certainly must have been some myths born from the interactions between Shargash and Orlanth's peoples, and explanations as to differences and similarities.

>It can be argued that Orlanth is a degenerate form of Shargash as Orlanth has
>thunder and some death and growing, fighting but not the rest of it. Of
course,
>don't try to tell an Orlanthi that.

An Orlanthi would most likely tell you that Shargash is merely a misunderstood shadow or child or Humakt or Urox. Orlanth and Lightbringer worship is a hell of a lot more subtle and complex than many solars would admit. A Storm Voice may explain that Orlanth is far more than a mere frightening killer like Shargash, Orlanth is the noble hero, who just as often tricks, negotiates, and wins by proving loyalty and honor. Orlanth is not only death, but also life. He is passionate lover and compassionate father. Orlanth's compassion and willingness to sacrifice himself to save the world is what IMO puts him above the likes of Shargash.

Of course, a tender of the Enclosures would deny this. Shargash, the great devourer, cleanses the world, burning away wickedness and corruption, purging the world of the bad so that the good can live.

It could even be said that Orlanth combines the best traits of Shargash and Yelm! (Heresy!) ANd no doubt in 3rd age Theyalan myth, he conquered them both.

I'd think the Lunars would have tried to merge conventional Storm and Shargash worship (with Shargash in Ascendance, of course), but except for political reasons.
It can also be argued that Sargash worship is a crippled and enfeebled version of Orlanth's Lightbringer mysteries. Orlanth not only knows and understands death (second only to Humakt), but has *transcended* and *defeated* death.

Any Lightbringer trapped in the underworld of Alkoth would probably have excellent chances of escaping and overcoming the paths of the dead, as these mysteries are essential parts of the Lightbringer's Quest. In fact, some crazy Heroquesting Orlanthi may well journey to Alkoth, just for the shortcut to the Underworld!
</PRO-ORLANTH MODE OFF>