two thunders

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:51:05 -0800

As I see it, both Shargash and Orlanth are cultural leader deities - each has many facets, and niether is a degenerate form of the other. Each is the
storm (with aspects of life and death) as worshipped according to the culture and history of its people.

There are many similarities - both slew Yelm, fought chaos, fought the river dragon, went to the
underworld, and returned with life. Both even accosted Elmal at the HOG. They may be the same deity, or they may be different storm deities enacting a path endemic to the storm/leader role. It hardly matters which, because the worshippers of each would deny the other was the same.

> I'd be very interested in reading some cross cultural myths involving
> Shargash and Orlanth.

Most Pelorian Orlanthi know of Shargash as "Shadzhor", a nasty demon death & storm god worshipped in Alkoth. If they associated Shargash with any of their own deities, it would probably be Vadrus. Alkothi view Orlanthi as one of the many other storm deities running about Glorantha. They probably view Orlanth as the deity of barbarian raiders, rapists, and theives. Naturally, each view of the other is relatively shallow and negatively biased. (Due largely to a violent history between them.)

> It can also be argued that Shargash worship is a crippled and enfeebled
> version of Orlanth's Lightbringer mysteries. Orlanth not only knows and
> understands death (second only to Humakt), but has *transcended* and
> *defeated* death.

Read "Enclosure I" again - did you miss the trancendance and death aspects of Shargash? (He fills the Humakt role in DH society.) I don't think Shargash's quest is an enfeebled version of Orlanth's - it is SHARGASH's quest. They are similar, but different. Each quest fits with its own culture.

> Any Lightbringer trapped in the underworld of Alkoth would probably have
> excellent chances of escaping and overcoming the paths of the dead, as
> these mysteries are essential parts of the Lightbringer's Quest.

Except that in Alkoth, all the Alkothi worshipping there would litteraly change the shape of the other side there to be ALKOTH's underworld, not Orlanth's. It would take a very clever or an extraordinarily powerful heroquestor to change the other side there to something other than it's worshippers have shaped it to be. LIkewise, a Shargashi would have a darn tough time heroquesting effectively at Old Wind.

Interesting thoughts, though.

Nick - I loved your analogy of Arkat to Peloria's Darth Vader. How appropriate!

Pam