Gloranthan Physics

From: Ian Gorlick <Ian.Gorlick.igorlick_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:30:53 -0500

Happy New Year, everyone.
I seem to have started a good thread here. Pity I went off on vacation while it was being
discussed. I'll try to catch up now.

David:
"Why would anyone in their right mind put a candle, or a fish, into a jar, and then seal it up?"
I'd put a candle in a jar because I was tired of it blowing out in the wind.

Then I'd find that the damn thing went out for no apparent reason. That would
lead me to investigate further, and eventually find that a jar put the candle out
but a chimney kept it going and protected it from wind. This is a simple empirical observation that I would expect my players' characters to know. They may not explain it in terms of oxygen deprivation but they know this is how the world works.

As for the fish: I've caught a fresh fish, but I don't want to eat it today. So I put
it in water to keep it for tomorrow. If I stick it in a basin it is okay, but basins
spill so easily. So, one day I stick it in a covered jar instead, and the next day
it is dead. If I happen to observe this pattern more than once, I may be intrigued and try to find out more. Someone, at some time, will have been

intrigued. In my Glorantha, people are just as curious as people in the RW. So, in my Glorantha, people are empirically aware of a lot of basic physics and chemistry and biology. They have very weird theoretical explanations for that empirical knowledge, and those theories may lead them to bad predictions sometimes. (There's probably some good role-playing possibilities
there. Get your characters to do something that the players know is stupid because the characters' theories about the world say that it should work.) Just
look at medieval medicine for examples.

Your example of a bad adventure scenario is frightening. Do your players really try to get away with stuff like that? I'd suggest re-training your players
and getting rid of those who won't learn. Maybe I'm spoiled, my players are mostly pretty good about keeping separate the things they know from the things that their characters know.

Our characters in your cave-in scenario could reasonably expect to know that

they were in danger of suffocation. They might also realize that they could extend their time by putting out their torches and by minimizing their physical activity. I'd probably negotiate with the players about whether they
could just assume the characters knew this, or if they should make a World Lore roll (probably with a favourable modifier). If they could think of examples
of enclosed spaces and suffocation that their characters would have encountered
then they get the knowledge as a freebie, otherwise they have to go for the die roll. This encourages them to think about the world that their characters
live in without bothering to make it bizarrely alien from Terra.

I find Glorantha weird and alien enough already without bothering to try to rewrite basic day-to-day reality. And I don't believe that I could make create
a rewrite that was up to my standards of consistency. So I don't try. I leave
the mundane stuff the same as Terra. Gods, spirits, magic, chaos, etc. add enough of an alien note to ensure that my players know they aren't in Kansas any more.