Earth and spirits

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:21:10 +1300

Jane Williams:

[On Ernalda spirit magic]

>What I'm after to start with is some sort of spell to enhance Plant Lore:
>a sort of "what's wrong with this plant?" spell.

There's a Chalana Arroy cult skill: Find Healing Plant (in Cults of Prax) or Refine Medicine (in River of Cradles) that you might want to steal from.

>After that: maybe something similar for animals? Something to improve
>cooking? Considering the way Ernalda is meant to be in charge of the
>spiritual side of things, maybe something that lets you talk to spirits, if
>only on a basic level.

This is misinterpreting the meaning of spiritual IMO. The Catholic church, for example, is extremely spiritual but frowns upon the use of mediums to speak with deceased spirits and such like.

>The ancestor worship as described in the writeup (Daka Fal, shamans,
>and so on) seems to be that as used by cultures for which this is their
>only form of worship. Orlanthi ancestor-worship would be rather
>different, surely?

Orlanthi 'ancestor-worship' revolves around knowing the inner secrets of what their ancestors did and emulating their ancestors.