RE: Seasons

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:07:00 -0500

Nils Weinander had written:

>I always thought of the Theyalan seasons as our four
>seasons + storm season:

>Sea season = spring
>Fire season = summer
>Earth season = autumn
>Dark season = winter
>Storm season = a season without earthly equaivalent,
>not as cold as Dark season/winter, but plagued with
>storm, rain etc. instead. Not all plants and winter-
>sleeping animals dormant (depending on how affiliated
>they are with the forces of storm).

I like this approach too since it's nice in a mythic sense. Then of course Phil Hibbs dropped a bombshell (on me at least by pointing out:

>Personally, I was happy with the concept that Glorantha had 5 seasons plus
>one bonus mini-season, rather than shoehorning it into our mundane 4.

>From http://www.glorantha.com/library/world/cop-calendar.html:

>Sea Season = Spring
>Fire Season = Summer
>Earth Season = Autumn (fall)
>Dark Season = Winter
>Storm Season = Voilence
>Sacred Time = Rebirth

Deep sigh. Okay so I've been wasting my time wondering about this. I can live with that. (In fact I like it).

I'd said:

>> Valind's Glacier and the Fiery southern desert obviously have strong
>> effects on the weather.

Alex replied:

>Actually, I think Valind's Glacier is caused by cold weather (in the
>shape of the cold current from the NW), rather than vice-versa. But
>that may be a Viewpoint issue.

Bingo.

Alex again:

>My understanding is that the Pamaltelan plains have four seasons, both
>climatologically and culturally. i.e. there are four "weathers", and
>the Doraddi calendar has four seasons. (Hot, very hot, feckin' hot, and
>"Ah, but it's a dry heat!"?)

Is that like "but it's a dry cold." (this is the statement that Winnipeggers
are notorious for when someone asks why we live here instead of Toronto where's it's warmer but a heck of a lot more humid).

Alex again:

>I can tell you few things for sure about Gloranthan cosmology, but one is
>that Glorantha absolutely, definitely does not orbit Yelm. Or if it
>does, there's a scheme of positively Creationist proportions to convince
>people otherwise (like back-projecting false stellar backdrops).
>(Creationists offended by this statement... well, I'll get back to
>you if and when I think of a plausible disclaimer.)

Glad to hear it.

I'd said:

>> Dec 21st is the first day of winter? Baw hah hah. Then why has there
>> been snow on the ground for five weeks already?

Alex again:

>Your country is faulty. Please have it returned to the shop for
>reconditioning!

Actually only parts of it. Don't forget Canada's almost as big as Europe so we get lots of different kinds of weather. My wife still pines for the weather of southern Ontario. Lot's warmer in winter but too humid for my tastes and that's year round.

> But using Yelm's HHD as midsummer is beautiful.

>Note that if Gloranthan "midsummer" is anything like the terrestrial one,
>it does _not_ even remotely mean the "middle of summer"!

I suppose it could but not if summer starts at the beginning of the month (give or take a coupla weeks/days).

>> Sea 1-5 Spring
>> Sea 5-8 Summer

>Is Sea 5 in one, the other, or both?

It did but I guess I'm abandoning that view in the face of hitherto unknown orthodoxy.

Alex again:

>As it's hard to _not_ include ST in spring, when it "wraps around it"
>like that, you've ended up with an effectively 12.5 week spring, vs
>a 9 week winter...

I stated before that I felt that Sacred Time was another kettle of fish where any kind of weather could occur for mythological/ religious reasons. For instance:

  1. a clan experienced a climatic (sorry) event back in their past that was of great religious/cultural significance for them. Perhaps they experience the exact same weather every Sacred Time as a reminder? Is Sacred Time always nice and sunny in Dara Happa?
  2. a tribe does some horrific evil (by their standards) and they experience especially horrible weather during Sacred Time as a sign of their god(s) displeasure. They probably get bad weather anyway but get exceptionally bad weather during Sacred Time. (Do Trolls get bright sunshiny days?)

But anyway there does seem to be an official answer to my question which I'm perfectly happy with. Too bad I didn't hear about it earlier.

Oliver