Degrees of failure

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:23:00 -0500

Trotsky talking about what happens to would-be Mandarins who fail their exams.

> Alternatively, he could get automatically dumped into the Scribe's
class
>or whichever it is all those minor functionaries belong to. At least he'd
have
>some of the right skills and he won't be required to show so much in the
way
>of initiative and intellect (which is probably a good thing in his case).

Perhaps the one's who only failed by a bit are turned into eunuchs.

The scene, the Imperial Overseer of Mandarin Education explaining the grading system to a graduate student marker:

"Well 0-45%, galley slave (well, that's what we call 'em anyway), 46-65% scribe, 66-85% eunuch-he wouldn't have made a good Mandarin but he'll make a wonderful chamberlain (not enough brains to be left running around but too much ability for a scribe), 86%+ the world's your oyster!"

Oliver