We need a good map...(?)

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:57:22 +0000

Mark Gagnon :

>This illustrates a common problem: despite all the loyalty many RQ
players
>have to the game world and the game mechanics, no one can deny that the
maps
>are a source of constant frustration. I've tried numerous times to
piece things
>together to give my players some idea as to scale and distance and
>landmarks and everytime I've made some glaring and embarrassing error.
>If Issaries, Inc. can achieve one thing, let it be good maps.

As I understand it, this is in fact a deliberate policy. The situation a player character map collector has should be no better than the situation a map collector in the real world would have had a thousand or more years ago.

You as GM can make up your own maps, without worrying too much about consistency with published maps, and still have a clear concience. At the end of the day, the only information players have to verify the accuracy of the maps is travell times, whcih will vary wildly by mode of transport, relative athetic prowess, season and weather, etc.

If Issaries Inc. did start publishing high-detail objectively 'true' maps that woudl realy start annoying me.

Simon hibbs