Atyar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:12:58 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>I agree that Treak Markhor could easily be a Kralorelan. Is there a
>Kralorelan equivalent on Lankhor Mhy?

They have Sages who could be thought of as Priests of Lhankor Mhy however strange.

>The fact that the skull was found in the East Isles makes me think he had
>ocean transport - This is the main reason I would still prefer a
>Jrusteli/Lankhor Mhy priest/scholar with less morals than sense.

The East Isles have their own Ocean Transports and could have reached Kralorela easily. I do know that they did reach Pamaltela.

>>> would be the Godlearner/BrainLooter New Dragon Ring.

>> The God Learners were not Brainlooters. That is some mysterious
>> organization who were around in sixth century Dragon Pass. The
>> God Learners didn't get organized until the middle of next century.

>I didn't realise that the Brainlooters were a special organisation, I had
>assumed that it was a nickname for Godlearners as stealing other peoples
>secrets seemed to be what they were about.

The only reference is in KoS which speaks of it in connection with the EWF. If you didn't intend this meaning, then it's wise to call avoid calling them Brainlooters.

>Either way the New Dragon Ring were also stealing other peoples
>stuff; "falling upon the Land of Splendour like vivisectionists
>on a new animal."

Vivisection is theft? If you looked at the myth of ShangHsa, you would see that the New Dragons Ring was actively disseminating occult knowledge and not stealing it from others. They seem to be the complete opposite of Atyari occult thieves IMO.

>>>Atyar is an excellent Godlearner cult; Consume Minds, Devour Book,
>>>Voice of Atyar all help plunder other peoples secrets.

>> The operative word here is 'cult'. The God Learners did not join
>> cults to worship Gods but subscribed instead to numerous schools,
>> philosophies and Wizardly orders. [...] Since Atyar is a worshipped
>> entity, his cult demonstrably was _not_ joined by God Learners.

>The operative words were "plunder other peoples secrets" which is what
>the New Dragon ring did.

No, the New Dragons Ring didn't. They discovered new insights and taught them to others. They are not occult thieves nor were they chaotic. Both which IMO makes the NDR and Atyar incompatible faiths. At least in the early stages of ShangHsa's reign.

>It is 41years between Godlearner "freebooters" (who sound
>like low morals type godlearners; perhaps they had been exiled from
>Jrustela, which is why they were seeking new land)

They weren't exiles and they weren't low on morals. They were explorers like De Gama, Cook or Marco Polo. They were genuinely interested in the world and sought to comprehend it.

>arriving and Yanoor leaving as Emporer which is plenty of time for the
>original Godlearners to learn few new tricks, give up their old philosophy
>and take over the Empire of Splendour

They gave up being God Learners _after_ they took over Kralorela which is circa 768. Secondly they managed to overthrow Yanoor by teaching their wisdom to the natives and gaining popular support (according to the White Wolf Yelm cult writeup). What exactly they gave up after they took over, I don't know, but I doubt that there was a wholescale alignment with the cult of Atyar.

[Treak Markhor an Atyari Exarch in the NDR?]

>> Unfortunately the Imperial Age is when the Atyaris are best understood
>> to have met up with the Thanics after being expelled from Kralorela.
>> And the New Dragons Ring were in control throughout most of that age.

>The New Dragons Ring started having trouble in 1050, which is still second
>age (just). However Stephen Martin in Drastic Vol. Chaos suggests a First
>Age drift of Atyari westwards. There is no problem with this, Atyari
would >not have all packed up their books and left in an organised caravan.

But these Atyari would have to have knowlege of Treack's teachings (since he founded their cult) in order to have an affect on Thanic cults in the west. If this happened in the first age, he would have to be a pretty longlived cult hero.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #412