Quests

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:09:29 +1300

Ian Thomson:

>What are the principal parts (ie recognised by several
>cultural variations on the myths, or - for LBQ - as classified by the
>God Learners frinstance) of the LBQ and the RGQ?

The Short Lightbringers Quest has 14 different rituals:

  1. Preparation 8. Three Challenges
  2. Departure 9. Presentation
  3. Westfaring 10. Atonement
  4. The Descent 11. The Proof
  5. The Obsidian Palace 12. Gift-giving
  6. Alone in Hell 13. Procession
  7. Rest 14. Celebration

The complete quest requires sixteen different rituals (according to Argrath's Saga) and one of the two missing rituals may be the Conflict Stage where Kallyr famously had a hard time with a blindingly armed Lunar Warrior.

However the precise nature of those quests varies. I've been told by Greg that the Westfaring (in which the Lightbringers sail across the western ocean to Luathela) can take the appearance of a creek that has to be jumped over.

The Lightbringer's Quest is reasonably standardized as it was first performed by Harmast in history. He wrote down what he did and the God Learners got a copy of it and thought it to be the final word on Orlanthi mythology.

The Goddess's quest has seven stages.

  1. Descent (The Goddess enters Godtime)
  2. Defeat (The Empty Victory of the Goddess)
  3. Meeting (The Goddess meets Arachne Solara)
  4. Illumination (The Binding of Gbaji)
  5. Reconstruction (The Goddess Riding the Sky Bear)
  6. Victory (The Full Victory of the Goddess)
  7. Return (The Return of the Goddess Triumphant).
    • --Peter Metcalfe