Re: Caladraland

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:20:20 GMT

Peter says, on the prospect of Star-Spangled Caladralanders:

> I note the implication that Presidents can serve non-consecutive terms
> rules out sacrificial rites.

On the grounds that only bothers to forbid that which is not only possible, but likely, I take your point; OTOH, such a custum could be a relic of a sacral custom, with the king being required to be sacrificed in effigy (or a tanist, in fact). Whether this is likely is another matter, since tanistry normally comes about since kings want to _continue_ ruling after their theoretical term, not because of some bleedin' 'eart liberal concern about not offing them.

Slan,
Alex.