Caladraland

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 12:43:21 +1300

Keith Nellist:

Me>> Further errors in [the RQC Holy country article], IMO, are:

>> -- the ludicrous consititional republic of the Caladralanders
>> -- the Only Old One's fleet sailing the open seas long past the
>> date of the Closing.

>I do not agree that the Caladralanders constitutional republic is inherently
>'ludicrous'.

Well, Greg seemed to think so for he wrote later in DW#28 that they were ruled by a High King who ruled for a term of years.

>This is a country that has a peculiar religion (Caladra and
>Aurelion), a peculiar ruler (the Pharoah) for 300years.

Greg seems to downplaying the influence of C&A in Caladraland and the Pharaoh's unsualness does not seem to have infected the other Sixths with the same amount of sillyness.

>The government is not
>described as "constitutional", and could be a description of Orlanthi Chief
>practices modified by Esrolian Sacrificial King ideas.

When the passage starts talking about a President serving six years, may not serve consecutive terms, nor may his kin succeed him, _and_ says he must be approved by the people, the priesthood and the clan leaders have decided, it is not hard to get visions of the Star - -Spangled Banner.

The Caladralanders are neither Orlanthi nor Esrolians. They are Caladralanders and would strongly maintain their own customs. There's a reason why they are one of the Sixths. I note the implication that Presidents can serve non-consecutive terms rules out sacrificial rites.

>Neither is the Only Old One's described as sailing the open seas. I was
>under the impression that the Mirrorsea Bay was not directly affected by
>the Closing (like Ozur's Bay, the Suam Chow, Maslo Sea, ..) and the fleet
>could easily patrol the bay and it's islands.

You missed the line on page 19 of the Runequest companion which states that 'Then, the terrible curse of the Closing swept upon the ocean and destroyed the Black Fleet'.