Maps in Glorantha

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:55:14 +0000

Ok, here's a summary of my assumptions about the history of map making in Glorantha.

The only map I can remember being explicitly mentioned is Zzabur's 'maps of the future' which spurred Prince Snodal into action. It seems likely that the Brithini at least would have excellent maps of much of the world, particularly the regions in or near the ancient Kingdom of Logic. These maps were probably extremely accurate, but unfortunately much of the world has changes significantly since then, rendering the maps useful only in part.

The middle sea empire must have had excellent geographical knowledge. they also know much Brithini lore and it seems reasonable to assume that they used at least some Brithini trigonometrical and cartographic techniques. I imagine that the best maps of second age Glorantha are all Jrusteli in origin, though these were probably mainly nautical.

The Kralorelans and Fonritians probably have good maps of their own locale, but beyond their own territory they will lose accuracy rapidly. The Kralorelan's particularly may have very good up to date maps of their own provinces, but their maps of the world probably date back to mythic times.

Magical flight is undoubtedly useful for making maps, but only at a small scale. Such a map would be limited in scope by the maximum height the flyer can attain. An orlanthi might be able to make a map of central Dragon Pass by flying to the top of Kero Fin, but the accuracy of the map beyond a certain distance (perhaps only 50 to 60 miles) will become very poor indeed. Without mathematical techniques to reproject views from different vantage points, there is no way to construct accurate maps of large areas using this method.

Simon Hibbs