Re: Angels

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:03:50 -0000

___
Aki asks:

> I'd like to include some angels in my campaign and because I don't know
> anything about angels in Glorantha I thought I'd ask you.

The most helpful thing you could add to this is, where is your game set in Glorantha? You see, we could probably waffle on for hours talking about Malkioni "angels" or Dara Happan "angels" or Orlanthi "angels" (or whatever, using the term as loosely as you like), but you're unlikely to want to know about all of these.

I imagine you're asking about Western, Malkioni "angels" -- servitors of the Invisible God who are not Saints (that is, they originally came from some "superior" order of Creation, and are not mortals who have risen towards divinity like the various saints of the Malkioni sects). There are old mentions of Dara Happan spirits of Light as "angels" and "archangels" -- these are nowadays called "Luxites", however.

It is pretty certain such figures exist. There is a mention (in a very old, unpublished story by Greg Stafford) of one "Yingar the Winged", a flying messenger of Malkion's who brings messages to mortals (and, indeed, carries mortal souls around after their death). But I don't believe that much work has been done to describe how they fit into Malkioni cosmology, what their names are, etc.

This suggests the following answers to your questions:

> How powerful are they and how rare? Are there any "official" angel
> stats?

They would be very powerful (on a par with minor deities, spirit cults like those from Nomad Gods, etc. -- say, providing one Rune spell or equivalent powers); probably seldom worshipped, or difficult to worship (or we'd have learned about Angel Worship instead of Saint Cults); and I strongly doubt there are any "official" stats for such beings, but if there were they'd be "HeroQuest"-level and not mundane opponents.

> Any famous angels and their participation in Gloranthan mythology?

The only Malkioni one that springs to mind would be Yingar, as I said. And his participation in myth is minor -- an appearance in an unpublished draft of Hrestol's Saga.

You *could* consider Malkion, Zzabur, Talar, Horal, Dronar, Menena, Waertag, etc. as similar -- superior to mundane humans, but not worshipped as Saints or Gods in their own right. I imagine any other beings contemporaneous with or closely descended from such primal figures would fit the bill quite neatly.

> Are there any "fallen" or "dark" renegade angels banished from heaven?

Undoubtedly. To orthodox Malkioni, Zzabur is "Fallen". To orthodox Brithini, Malkion is.

> Can angels be summoned?

Surely, and I would imagine in the same way that Spirit Cult spirits or Tribal Founders or Gods could be summoned. That is to say, this would be a Big Thing, not a trivial one-point Rune spell, IMO.

Hope this helps. If you were asking about Dara Happan, Orlanthi, Kralori etc. "angels", please post again and flesh out the question a bit more.

:::: Email: <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com> Nick
:::: Web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>