Correction of some of Brian's Points (+vent)

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:06:04 -0800

Now that Brian has had time to vent again about Issaries, I'll clear up a few of his mistaken points. I won't address the bulk of his complaints because as has been pointed out already, he misses the point of this being a gift/donation, not a purchase for value.

Since it's my turn to vent, skip this one if you're as bored of the topic as I am.

>Why would these avenues be mutually exclusive now when they weren't before?
>When Issaries was planning to sell shares, this was essentially (a) a
>business proposal designed to reward investors, and (b) a desparate plea for
>charitable donations (given the riskiness of the proposed plan). I thought
>that Issaries had concluded that membership and benefits was a viable way
>around selling shares (which it is), but perhaps Issaries really only sees
>the "donation" part of it. Here's how you can get completely around the
>selling of shares, undertake your risky business plan, and offer the
>contributors a chance at actually getting back their "investment" + more in
>return:

Why? Because the law says so. The share selling plan would still work if this was a bigger project. Unfortunately, you need about $200,000 to just start selling stock in this manner. Kind of silly when you're only looking for a quarter of that. Bad lawyers can screw anyone.

As to Brian's proposal on giving value back for the donation, it speaks loudly of his opinion of Issaries that he thinks Issaries wouldn't prefer to do it this way or that Issaries didn't think of his plan already. They did. Guess what? It's illegal. Come up with something legal and Issaries will happily listen. If anyone really cares why, e-mail me.

>I believe I already stated my intentions to do just that...as for the
>cost benefits, you're saying they don't add up as if it's ex cathedra;
>however, Issaries is not portraying it the way you're reporting it (yet
>somehow it's supposedly understood by all?). That's the issue. Company
>spokemen have already pointed out to us how these benefits are worth *more*
>than the donations tendered.

Brian, I am not a Company spokesman. Issaries often asks me for advice and I give them suggestions. I don't even agree with all the parts of the GTA plan, but I'm not slamming the whole idea or trying to nitpick it to death.

As to your statement that I said the benefits are worth *more* than the donations tendered, this is an unfair misrepresentation of what was said. I had stated that if you only look at the cost to value comparison at the $100 level the new GTA looked a little better than the original. To state that somehow I meant this to mean that at all levels you get your money's worth is flat out untruth and detracts from any valid points you may try to make. Lies reduce credibility.

> >In addition, am I right in thinking that we're expected to shell out $105
> >(paying by plastic) for essentially one game retailing for about $30?
> >Bit different from the originally mooted 3 games I believe...
> >Anyway, 'nuff said
> >Ash
> Nope, not right.[me]
>Remember this defensive and confrontational comment, I'll get back to it
>later...

And this is just silly. Ash asked, "am I right?" I said, "Nope, not right," and went on to explain why. I think anyone who believes this to be both defensive and confrontational is probably a defensive and confrontational person and it speaks volumes about Brian's contributions to this list.

>When you read the publication schedule, the estimates of what it will
>take to fund the next round, etc. you start to get a feel for how
>impossible this will be. How does Issaries expect to land 5,000 new
>customers when they've basically admitted that they won't have much
>money for advertising?

Again, you underestimate knowledge and plans of Issaries. There are many way of advertising and marketing and selling that do not require lots of money up front. Yes, they require money, but not up front. There are ways of working deals with distributors and retailers that will be used to push product. These plans and connections are already in place.

>As for Issaries needing to be insulated from Chaosium's risks...let's
>try to remain serious here, shall we?

Let's bury the hatchet here about Brian's opinions compared to the real world. Even where it is now Issaries is on much firmer financial ground that Chaosium has been for the last few years. Chaosium seems to be working out of it, but there are still many risks. Quit exposing your ignorance. If you have questions about plans, or problems. Ask. Don't whine to the world first and find out why you are wrong later.

I guess it really was my turn to vent....

Eric Rowe
Wizard's Attic