Yuthu

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:27:19 +0800

> Who is the city god of Yuthuppa? Is Sagittus a sky god? How about
>Hastatus?

        This is a cue for Peter Metcalfe and I to disagree, based on the History of the Lunar Empire, which implies 'Yuthu'.

        Rather than go through that rather dull debate again, I'll just say I believe that Yuthu is Yuthuppan for God, and that some linguistic confusion has taken place - non-Yuthuppans probably know of Yuthu by another name (I suspect non-Yuthuppans might call Yuthu Yelm, myself, but I am not sure). Yuthuppa is sacred to Buserian, but Anaxial is also strongly associated with the city (and as widely initiated minor deity and mythic founder, probably comes closest to the sense of city god in the Pavis sense, unlike the less widely initiated Buserian and Yelm). This is an attempt to integrate the History of the Lunar Empire with GROY, which does not mention Yuthu at all except as a part of words like Yuthuppa and Yuthubars. Peter prefers a more literal interpretation of History of the Lunar Empire.

         I invite Peter to explain why I am wrong, and how I have misrepresented him if he feels I have, but I wish to state my position not debate it, and believe that the matter should be regarded as unsettled at this time.

        Regards

                David