Re: More Arkati

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:40:16 GMT

Paul McDonald:
> Further, I should have considered that the worshipers themselves might not be
the
> only source of power. IMG, characters more powerful than normal game play
would
> allow (ie Heroes) get their strength from the collective sub-conscious of
large
> numbers of people.

Greg has said in the past that Arkati have a strong presence on the HeroPlane, which is one reason they're more powerful than one might otherwise believe.

Perhaps more to the point, insofar as Arkatism is a form of mysticism (and it is, and it isn't, to various different degrees). Mystic methods gain access to power more or less _directly_ from the transcendent -- ambient conditions like worshippers, spirits, material circumstances, etc, don't really apply. (Of course, the object isn't to use same, but that's another matter.)

> > But its practitioners are not Illuminates and they do not behave
> > as Illuminates do.

> This seems to be a sensitive point of debate. Greg said that Arkati
> "Illumination" isn't Nysalorian Illumination, so I have to accept that.
> I have seen references to the opposite point of view (regarding Arkat's
> personal illumination) in several official sources, though.

I don't know of any official source that says Arkat was a _Nysalorean_ Illuminant. They say he's an Illuminant, but it'd be pretty much impossible for him to be a Nysalorean Illuminant, in any sort of normal sense of the term. What sort of 'illuminant' was he, then? Search me.

As for Official Sources -- Greg has more or less 'laughed to scorn' the RQ rules for Illumination. If you want to use them, fine, but don't cling to them desperately as received wisdom, and then complain that Greg's saying something different at some later point, as he's been saying something different (in several respects) for some time now.

> Anyway, IMG both are shadows cast by a higher mystical truth and are part of a
> "yin-yang" sort of idea.

I'd agree with that, at least loosely.

> This is just my personal view, though. I stand ready to be Gregged
> without notice! ;)

You've already had plenty of notice. ;-)

Slainte,
Alex.