Arkatism

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:16:21 +0800

>I really do not see Arkatism as having a received corpus of wisdom
>that one has to digest before one passes to the next stage. It's
>more of a Master teaches his disciples the particular tools on how
>to heroquest, and once a disciple reaches a recognized competency, he
>too is accorded a Master.

        I don't see Arkatism as having one single mode of dissemination. Or, for that matter, there being no one single philosophy that is definatively 'Arkatism'. I like the 'masonic lodge' model for parts of Ralios, I like the Master and disciples model for Heortland and other parts of Ralios. Other models no doubt exist.

>Arkati 'illumination' is not the Nysaloran Illumination. It's doubtful
>whether they have the ability to join multiple cults or hold multiple
>worldviews.

        I imagine that they have these abilities as much as Arkat did. Exactly how much Arkat was capable of these things is debatable, though. The Light Side/ Dark Side stuff from COT would suggest that there were things that Arkat was capable of, but chose not to do.

        Personally, the idea that Arkatism and Nysalorism differ primarily in moral attitudes appeals to me a lot (which may mean they differ in abilities as a result).

>>If it is not illegal and/or immoral, why is the
>>society concealing its existance or its membership?

        Many such secret societies may be secret in the same sense as the Masons - its not the societies existence or membership that is a secret, its what they do and know that is a secret. Some of them may even be like the original 'operative' Masons in the transition period between the actual Masonic guilds and the current Freemasonic system - groups that have some obvious and practical reason to exist, but that have secret traditions as well.

        Plus of course all the other obvious comments on this that have been made by other people.

	Cheers
		David