Re: Chalicotherium/Moropus

From: Meirion Hopkins <meirionhopkins_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:37:49 PST

Since Chalicotherium and Moropus are very closely related - as they were both Chalicotheres the only huge difference is their size I would like to propose a second option for the claw footers: giant ground slothes eg Megatherium. Although eminently unsuitable for a mounted tribe they are extinct - perhaps outcompeted by the more mobile cavalry tribes. (Mind you, Morokanth would also be pretty crap riding animals given that herdmen are 'normal' sized - perhaps if they had lost then the morokanth riders would have been pigmies!)

I'm quite happy to agree with Trotsky's suggestion about the nose-horn being Synthetoceros or some similar beasty.

Anyone heard anything 'official' about the long noses or plains elk.

Having had a look at the counters in the Oriflam Nomad Gods (possibly not the best source given their representation of the Watchdog of Corflu - - although most of the other counters seem quite sound) the plains elk looks just like a grey red-deer/elk. The nose horn like a white deer with one antler growing from above and behind the right eye and another from the nose (nothing behind the left eye that I can see however!)
and the long nose looks like a horse with a short tapir's trunk and antlers with the prongs pointing forward (a cross between two extinct mammals: Ramoceros and Marauchenia)

Meirion

PS Is Scott Schneider, the Prax/Wastes expert, on line and if so could he provide some answers?