My bi-monthly Chaos Duck Test post.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:20:29 +0100 (BST)

In another horribly-editted message (sorry to give out about this yet again, but it's a pet peeve of mine, and it really does smack of lack of consideration for the reader -- all 1500 of 'im (and 'er)), Chris Bell writes:

[Greg]
> said we could expect the first set of [HW] books at around Christmas time.

Bummer. There goes another bunch of innocent fresher week (weak?) minds uncorrupted by the One True World of Gloranthan Gaming. I was really hoping for by the autumn. Still, looks like I'll win my bet about it not being out before the millennium (let's hope they at least make the Real Millennium, though) -- now to see if anyone's still alive/around for me to collect on it...

On whether 'all evil gods'/Malia are/needs be Chaotic:
> It is also
> the stated intent of the Chaos Gods, including Malia, to destroy the world
> so that Chaos can be unfettered and all possibilities can be realised.

This does no more than include Malia as a Chaos God by assertion. Even from an Orlanthi PoV this is questionable, though Malia is unambiguously an evil deity by their standards. (One of the few ways to get yourself formally executed in O. society (as opposed to one the many of getting done in on a more 'ad hoc' basis).)

> You have it backwards. As stated in prior writings by FGS himself, nature
> is actually what's lawful, the world as it was before the coming of Chaos.

This depends both on one's cultural perspective, and what one means by 'nature'. If one peers at the Cults of Terror article on the four main cosmological 'takes', one gets very different views on what the universe arises from. (What Chris may be thinking of are Golden Age myths, which are pretty much 'non-Chaotic' by definition.)

> although different cultures see Chaos in different ways.

And as being different _things_. Ther's not even a 'consensus' among major Gloranthan cultures agree on what Chaos is philosophically, morally, or I-know-it-when-I-see-it, as far as I'm awate.

> But as far as Chaos is concerned, there is only one answer. For vague
> and easy-to-twist morality, check out Storyteller.

There's a obvious comeback to this sort of comparison, but I shall Manfully Resist.

Slan,
Alex.