Free the Voralans!

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:44:38 +0100

Steven Barnes :

>I realize that it is too late to undo this injustice, but
>I have to ask: why is it that the mushroom people are depicted
>as bizarre little creatures that sit around doing nothing?
>Trees don't seem very mobile, if you ask me. Playing a "tree-man"
>would be pretty boring, if we were to give them the same revisionist
>treatment that the black elves recieved.

Revised from what?

>Do green elves stand around in the sun all day, waiting to be
>pollinated by bees?

I'm sure some do.

>Basically there is no reason (other than the whims of Chaosium
>authors) why black elves should be any less playable than green
>or brown elves.

Who personaly I don't feel are very well suited as PCs anyway. That's not to say I don't think they should be played by anyone ever, just that I don't think they're very high up on the list of playable characters.

Why should all sentient species in Glorantha be playable? After all they're _not_ human. Why should all their minds and values necesserily be compatible with human psychology?

I'm sorry your character got retconned, but if you're saying that creative freedom should be sacrificed in favour of a Disneyesque humanisation of all the species of Glorantha I have to protest.

Simon Hibbs