Humakti

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:54:00 +1200

Stephen Royle:

>My query concerns one of the players who wishes to join Humakt, he is an
>orphan and is sort of pre-destined to follow Humakt. Culturally, would the
>severance from his family /clan be total or could/would he still have ties?
>Would he be able to stay at the stead?

The interpretation of Humakt's separation varies from clan to clan. However there are Humakti weaponthanes in Orlanthi society loyally serving a chieftain and even Humakti chieftains and kings. Sarostip Coldeye is a chieftain of the Malani Tribe and cousin to the current King.

That said, one who interprets Humakt's separation really literally (ie wears a black t-shirt with all of Humakt's sayings) is going to be a lot more powerful than one who interprets the seperation in an allegorical way.

>Could/would he lose magic gained through just Orlanth or would he lose
>everything not from Humakt, I guess this depends on how complete a
>severance it is?

It depends on the geas that he takes. There is a specific geas not to use any magic that isn't humakti, hence it seems that some humakti do use non-orlanthi magic.