Chaos, Cleansing, and Illumination.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:14:57 +0100 (BST)

Mittmann, Mike:
> I asked Greg at the Dollar auction
> how the cleansed one was cleansed, and got the answer back
> "I'm not sure that he was", which got a nod from Sandy.

Sandy and Greg have also said at such events that the reason for this is that one can only be 'wilfully' corrupted by chaos, which annoys me due to the minor consideration of it being False. Leaving that aside, though, supposing that the Cleansed One cult 'cures' Chaos by some sort of 'illumination', then I'd suggest that was indeed a pretty valid way of 'removing the taint'. After all, Illumination is _not_ just a chaotic wheeze to allow one to abuse the world for all it's worth, but an authenic and valid mystical state reflecting some Deep Truth about the nature of Glorantha. If you like, it answers the question 'are you Chaotic?' not so much by changing a prior 'yes' to a simple 'no' as by negating the meaning of the question. (Or if you prefer, by the subject 'transcending' the Law/Chaos distinction.)

Greg has also commented in re: the transcendent portion of 'Glorantha: the Universe' that this is what the Lunars approach directly via their Third World tradition (if I recall the name correctly; basically, their mystical/Rashoranic/Illumination mode of thought). Conversely for the Orlanthi, their religion 'encapsulates' a portion of the transcendent, that part that Orlanth has experienced directly -- outside of that is Chaos, or at least, the unknown part, which you can't approach safely within the bounds of Orlanthi religion, and is at any rate best presumed Chaos until proved otherwise.

I realise much of the above is a tad on the abstruse side, but hopefully some of you found it entertaing or informatatatative, Mr Chumley-Warner.

Slan,
Alex.